The New Jersey Association of School Librarians (NJASL) advocates for high standards for school librarianship and school library media programs in the public, private and parochial schools in New Jersey. NJASL’s mission is to ensure that students and staff become critical thinkers, effective and ethical users and producers of information in support of the NJ State Core Content Curriculum Standards, Common Core State Standards Initiative, and American Association of School Librarians (AASL) Standards for the 21st Century Learner. The Association fosters excellence in the school library media program by providing school library media specialists with educational opportunities and current information.
That every student in every school in New Jersey is served by a certified full time School Library Media Specialist. All students are empowered to achieve college and career readiness through active, collaborative library programs guided by credentialed School Library Media Specialists who are recognized as educational leaders and indispensable resources in their school communities.
- Reading is essential for lifelong learning.
- Individuals have a right to access ideas and information.
- NJASL is committed to excellence in school library media programs.
- Teaching students how to learn from information in a variety of formats and platforms is the central role of school library media specialists.
- All students, regardless of community demographics, achieve greater academic success when effective school library media programs are integrated into their learning.
- Effective school library media programs are competently staffed by credentialed School Library Media Specialists, readily accessible, and adequately funded.
- Collaboration with teachers, administrators, parents, legislators, affiliate organizations, and peers is essential to the effectiveness of school library media programs and to the overall success of students’ educational goals.
- Continuing professional development is essential to the effectiveness of school librarians, as it is for all professionals.
- Membership in NJASL is an essential component of every school librarian’s continuing professional practice.
- NJASL welcomes the membership of all staff functioning in school libraries, as well as others interested in excellence in school librarianship.
- NJASL is committed to diversity in the profession and in the organization.
- NJASL values transparency in its relationships with members; we foster open discussion and active participation among our members.
To achieve this mission, the Association pursues the following objectives: