The New Jersey Association of School Librarians (NJASL) promotes excellence in school librarianship and advocates for strong school library media programs for all students. Guided by the principles set forth in the Library Bill of Rights and its interpretive statements, NJASL provides school library media specialists with educational opportunities and current information aligned with state and national learning standards to ensure that all school libraries empower students, faculty, and staff to become effective and ethical users and producers of information.
Every student in every school in New Jersey is served by a certified full time school library media specialist and has access to the technology and other resources needed. All students are empowered to achieve success through inquiry-based, collaborative school library programs led by credentialed school library media specialists. These professionals are recognized as educational leaders and indispensable resources in their school communities.
Reading is essential for personal and academic success.
● Individuals have a right to access ideas and information.
● NJASL is committed to excellence in school libraries to transform learning.
● Effective school libraries are sufficiently staffed and managed by credentialed school library
media specialists, readily accessible, and adequately funded.
● The school library media specialist teaches students how to access and engage with
information in a variety of formats and platforms.
● All students achieve greater academic success when effective school library media programs
are integrated into their learning.
● Collaboration with essential stakeholders (teachers, administrators, parents, legislators,
affiliate organizations, and peers) is essential to the effectiveness of school library media
programs and to the overall success of students’ educational goals.
● Continuing professional development is essential to the effectiveness of school library media
● Membership in NJASL is an essential component of every school librarian’s continuing
● NJASL welcomes the membership of all staff functioning in school libraries, as well as others
interested in excellence in school librarianship.
NJASL is committed to diversity in the profession and in the organization.
● NJASL values transparency in its relationships with members; we foster open discussion and
active participation among our members.